How to become a Mariner

If you are looking to get a job in the Maritime Industry this page will show you the steps that you need to take. 

The first step is to obtain a TWIC Card (Transportation Workers Identification). Below is the link for online application for your TWIC Card (1) and a link for other TWIC information, including locating a TWIC Enrollment Center near you(2). You can also go to a TWIC Enrollment Center in person and apply. You will need to copy the link and paste it into a browser. The Enrollment Centers are located all over the country. The cost for a first time TWIC card is $125.25.



The next step is to apply for a Merchant Mariners Credential (MMC). 

A Merchant Mariners Credential is a Document that looks like an orange passport that all mariners who sail in International Waters are required to have. If you are working on inland waterways like lakes,rivers and waterways, you may not need a MMC. However, we encourage everyone who is looking at a Maritime career to get a MMC as it is easier to get a job if you have a MMC.

The requirements to obtain a MMC is a TWIC Card, a U.S. Coast Guard physical and a drug test.

Page Last Updated: Jun 16, 2023 (10:10:08)
Contact Info
Inlandboatmen's Union of the Pacific-Marine Division of the ILWU
5215 Ballard Ave NW, Suite 2
Seattle, WA 98107
  (206) 284-6001

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2024. All Rights Reserved.